Kitchen Assistant Jobs in Southwark
The restaurant industry is one of the largest employers in the world, employing millions of people globally. In Southwark, a district of London with a vibrant food scene, there are many kitchen assistant jobs available. Kitchen assistants are an essential part of any restaurant team, responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the kitchen, preparing food, and maintaining the cleanliness and hygiene of the kitchen. If you are interested in working in the food industry, a job as a kitchen assistant can be a great starting point.
What does a Kitchen Assistant do?
Kitchen assistants work in the kitchen alongside chefs and other kitchen staff. They are responsible for a wide range of tasks that are essential to the smooth running of a restaurant. Some of the duties of a kitchen assistant include:
- Preparing food – Kitchen assistants prepare food by chopping vegetables, mixing ingredients, and cooking food.
- Cleaning and sterilizing equipment – Kitchen assistants clean and sterilize kitchen equipment, such as pots, pans, and utensils.
- Assisting the chefs – Kitchen assistants assist the chefs by preparing ingredients, helping with the cooking process, and plating dishes.
- Washing dishes – Kitchen assistants wash dishes, glasses, and cutlery used in the restaurant.
- Keeping the kitchen clean – Kitchen assistants clean the kitchen, including the floors, surfaces, and kitchen equipment.
- Managing supplies – Kitchen assistants manage food supplies, ensure that they are stored correctly, and inform the chefs when supplies are running low.
Qualifications and Skills Required
The good news is that there are no formal qualifications required to become a kitchen assistant. However, it is beneficial to have some experience working in a kitchen environment. Employers may also look for the following skills when hiring kitchen assistants:
- Good communication skills – Kitchen assistants need to communicate with chefs and other staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Organizational skills – The ability to organize the kitchen and keep it clean is essential for kitchen assistants.
- Physical stamina – Kitchen work can be physically demanding, so kitchen assistants need to be able to stand for long hours and lift heavy objects.
- Teamwork skills – Kitchen assistants work as part of a team, so they need to be able to work well with others.
- Attention to detail – It is important to pay close attention to detail when preparing food, ensuring that it is cooked properly and presented correctly.
Employment Opportunities in Southwark
Southwark is home to many restaurants, cafes, and bars, which means that there are plenty of job opportunities available for kitchen assistants. Some of the popular eating spots include:
- Borough Market – A foodie paradise, Borough Market is the go-to place for fresh produce, artisanal bread, and delicious street food.
- Maltby Street Market – Open every weekend, the market is home to a range of food vendors selling everything from baked goods to burgers and craft beers.
- The Laughing Gravy – A popular restaurant serving modern European cuisine, The Laughing Gravy is known for its hearty portions and delicious food.
- The Table Cafe – A family-friendly restaurant serving brunch and lunch, The Table Cafe is a popular spot for locals looking for good food and a relaxed atmosphere.
- The Ivy Tower Bridge – A glamorous restaurant serving contemporary British cuisine, The Ivy Tower Bridge is a popular spot for special occasions and business meetings.
Working Conditions and Salary
Kitchen assistants work in a busy, fast-paced environment, where they need to be able to work quickly and efficiently. The work can be physically demanding, requiring long hours on your feet and heavy lifting. Depending on the restaurant, you may be required to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, or holidays.
The salary for a kitchen assistant varies depending on the restaurant, the level of experience, and location. On average, a kitchen assistant in Southwark can expect to earn between £16,000 and £20,000 per annum.
Working as a kitchen assistant can be a great start to a career in the food industry. With time and experience, kitchen assistants can work their way up the career ladder to become chefs, sous chefs, or even head chefs. There are also opportunities to specialize in a particular type of cuisine or to become a restaurant manager.
If you are looking for a job in the food industry in Southwark, working as a kitchen assistant can be a great way to get started. Kitchen assistants are responsible for a wide range of tasks that are essential to the smooth running of a restaurant, including preparing food, cleaning the kitchen, and assisting the chefs. While no formal qualifications are required, it is beneficial to have some experience working in a kitchen environment. With plenty of job opportunities available and the potential for career advancement, working as a kitchen assistant is a great way to start a career in the food industry.
Are You Looking For Employment
To apply, Send your CV to arrange an immediate placement.
Contact Zak On 02037732803 & WhatsApp +447517088800